I have a new respect for world travelers and for children who are immersed into an entirely new culture, complete with new languages, smells, tastes, and sounds. In Tianjin, very very few people spoke even the slightest bit of even broken English. I'm not upset by that, any more than I think a Chinese person should be upset that no one speaks Chinese in San Antonio.
I also have a new appreciation for the variety of cultures in America. On any day, I can choose from american cuisine, as well as italian, mexican, greek, japanese, and yes, chinese food. In Tianjin, there is a variety as well, so long as you don't consider all asian food somewhat similar: korean, japanese, thai... basically any type of noodle or odd animal product that your heart desires. Even the "japanese" noodle bowl I ordered seemed exactly like spaghetti, so I guess we can count that as italian, eh?
But to me, there is just something beautiful about this culture that is a part of my DNA. I love the way the streets look, albeit a bit grimy. I am entranced (in a figurative way) by the way the elderly look as they practice tai chi in the parks in the morning, and as they ride their rusted up (we'll call that "rustic") bicycles through the city streets. Sad in a way, but intruguing nonetheless.
Below is a series of pictures of a boy chasing poultry at the local park in Tainjin. I enjoyed watching the confusion on the boys face as he turned back at the end of the wild goose chase.
Never ask for the subcompact rental.
Sorry. I like the pictures of bikes. Got a problem with that??
Classic traffic in Tianjin.
No comments:
Post a Comment