Monday, September 8, 2008

It's China!

I used to be proud of my asian heritage... until now. Don't get me wrong, I love my heritage, but they eat some really nasty, disgusting stuff. Who does this? I know that at one point in time, my people had to eat duck tongue and fish lips and pork skin, but come on now. Enough is enough.





But man, they got some style. You can find a lot of pictures of Wei Jay on the other blogs, so here are some other sights (and sounds if you have a good enough imagination) of our trip.

The Bird's Nest... this is from the highway. They have the whole Olympic Village blocked off, so this is as close as we could get, but still seemed bigger than life to see this thing in person.
Okay, so we're in Beijing, and Tiananmen Square is across the street, but Chelle pointed out this guy to me, so I snapped this pic as I was walking down to the underground walkway. Note the glare from the not-as-traditional-looking-asian-guy... kinda funny really.
I love this picture. In a 500 year old place called Forbidden City (which covers about 2,362,205 square feet - yes TWO MILLION), there are dozens of main doors, each one about 15 feet high or so. On each door are 9 rows of 9 knob things - 9 is considered a lucky number in Beijing. Here is a shot I took that turned out better than I had hoped.


A lotus flower I think. Really pretty, almost looks fake, in my opinion. This one was in a grove of giant lilly pad-looking things. Almost didn't take the zoom lens to get this, but I'm glad I did.


In Tianjin, where we picked up Wei Jay, things weren't nearly as modern as Bejing. As we drove through the worn and weathered back streets, I was able to snap this picture of one of the little shops along the road - there are literally hundreds of them around. I loved the contrast of the cfl lightbulbs next to the antique looking key making machine and keys.

No comments: