So, it’s been an amazing year, filled with amazing highs and lows. It’s not quite over yet, but the colder air is blowing in, bringing with it the sense of nostalgia that the holidays always nudge to the forefront of my mind.
You probably know the highs – going on an amazing trip to
Sadly though, yesterday I arrived at the sad realization that I’m not twenty-ten. I’m thirty. Officially on the downhill slide to oldness, if I’m not there already. The moment of this epiphany seems so little, but in my view, was shocking and quite unwelcome (not unlike sticking your hand into an unidentifiable sticky/gooey substance).
The moment? I was cleaning the house, trying to pick-up so the pre-holiday house cleansing wouldn’t be so daunting, and made a discovery that brightened my eyes… and subsequently darkened my spirit. What find is this, you may ask? It happened in slow motion – I moved a towel and uncovered what I thought was a baggy full of trash, only to find that this wasn’t a baggy full of trash – no, my friends, this was a baggy full of Pepto-Bismol tablets.
The wonder in my eyes was reminiscent of a child at Christmas morning. In the instant that followed my fun discovery (Yay!), the thought that shot through my mind – “did I really just get excited over Pepto Bismol?” (ugh!).
My wife tries to convince me that this isn’t a sign that I’m old, but I think she’s just being nice (or perhaps in denial, so she won’t have to be married to an “old” guy). She is a self-professed nerd, so her opinion on the matter of the Pepto that once-was-lost-and-now-is-found has been thrown out of court.
So, I’m old. For those of you who are thirty or over, I apologize for the insinuation that you are old, but honestly, at your age, you should have a developed sense of humor to appreciate the changes we go through as we age.
All the more reason I am enjoying my days with WeiJay. Nothing keeps you young like spending quality time with kids. The wonder in their eyes as they make new discoveries is nothing short of magical. When WeiJay learns a new word, the smile that crosses his face when he learns that his endeavor was successful is one of my weekly delights.
Now for an inspirational scripture:
(sorry, I think bowels is a funny word)

2 comments:
You are so messed up... from the pepto to the scripture, I just don't know what to do with you. I guess I'll keep you.
Thanks for the chuckle....hmmm twenty and twelve, that DOES have a nice ring :o)
Adorable pics of Wei J!
Post a Comment